Childhood experiences and how did you react?

Anyone say offhand comments that hurt you. Share your experience and what you did.
moviebuff

Re: Childhood experiences and how did you react?

Postby moviebuff » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi Paulpaul, welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear you stood up for yourself.

Did it typically come from your friends or random acquaintances. What would you if your friends said something insensitive?

Thinking back to my past, sometimes my white friends would say something racist and they say I was being too sensitive... so I would stop. However, know I think it was just a way to give them a pass to say racist things to my face .

I wish I stood up for myself more.
Ali

Postby Ali » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:17 am

I was the only Chinese girl in the whole area for many years and was bullied for looking different. Even though I had a younger brother he seemed to get less bullied than I did.

It has made me tougher (although the school years were lonely) and there was nothing I could do about it. You can't change how people behave. Now, if I see any child being bullied I will intervene as it can really damage the confidence. I'm not sure whether children are better these days as there are more multiracial children and other religions.
aescopri

Postby aescopri » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 am

I grew up in a mixed-racial environment, and there were people of all different kinds of races and cultures. But, as I've mentioned in another reply of mine, one bad thing that came, as a child, with being asian is that people do tend to degrade and devalue my academic accomplishments. They usually just say "oh, it's because you're asian" and don't realise how detrimental that phrase can be.
When I was eight, I had this jerk teacher who graded "personally." That meant that he graded people on how far we exceeded/disappointed his own expectations, and I would usually get a bad grade because he assumed that I would write a wonderful essay that brought tears to his eyes. It's kind of comical now, but I was really upset, then.
I was a shy kid, so I kept it to myself. Now that I think back to it, I think I really deserved that A.

Return to “Any racist experiences? Please share”