Having another name?

Stories about anything growing up asian in another country
Ali

Having another name?

Postby Ali » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:47 am

Most overseas born Chinese will still have a Chinese name given to them even if they can never spell it, write it or say it. Do you have one and do you ever use it?

My father has always tried to make me use mine and adds to my name on documents and letters and I told him not to because a) it's embarrassing, and b) it confuses people. The confusion arises when people unfamiliar with the use of a Chinese name as a middle name and end up using that as my surname. I ended up with letters and people calling me that instead of my surname which created problems at the bank.

Recently my father found this out for himself as he uses his Chinese name for some things and his English name for others, and when he wanted to add my mother to have a joint back account the bank were confused with his NHS card saying his Chinese name, and his driving license with his English, so he has had to after 50 years re-verify his name at the bank with his naturalization certificate.

I don't use mine at all unless I have to. It's not that I don't like it, but I find no need for it and people always want to know what it means and it's quite boring as it means pure, although my parents told me I was named after a Goddess, and then a cartoon character.
MissingHome

Re: Having another name?

Postby MissingHome » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:07 pm

I grew up with two names an English one and a Japanese one. When I moved as a child, I officially switched to using my English name in public. It's just easier. No one outside of my family calls me by my Japanese name. I'm considering having my children have two names, I'll probably make their middle name Japanese so I can keep a piece of their culture. Have you thought about your kids and what name you'll give them?
aescopri

Postby aescopri » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:04 pm

For me, it's completely a different story. I have a Japanese name that I do use for school and personal purposes, and, while not a lot of people can pronounce it correctly, I still think that changing my name to a "whiter" version would be like changing my entire identity.
AntonioCalcano

Postby AntonioCalcano » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 pm

I know of many people who have had issues with their names and what I always advise them is to always keep their original name, of course they would need to change the alphabet so others would understand but the essence is to have your own name and feel proud of it.
Ali

Postby Ali » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:45 am

If I could I would drop my name as it doesn't mean anything to me, but it's stuck on my birth certificate. I do avoid using it and when asked for a middle name I skip over it on forms. Only when it's a passport form will I add it on because i have no choice in that the names must match.
clair02

Postby clair02 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:26 am

Ali wrote:Most overseas born Chinese will still have a Chinese name given to them even if they can never spell it, write it or say it. Do you have one and do you ever use it?

My father has always tried to make me use mine and adds to my name on documents and letters and I told him not to because a) it's embarrassing, and b) it confuses people. The confusion arises when people unfamiliar with the use of a Chinese name as a middle name and end up using that as my surname. I ended up with letters and people calling me that instead of my surname which created problems at the bank.

Recently my father found this out for himself as he uses his Chinese name for some things and his English name for others, and when he wanted to add my mother to have a joint back account the bank were confused with his NHS card saying his Chinese name, and his driving license with his English, so he has had to after 50 years re-verify his name at the bank with his naturalization certificate.

I don't use mine at all unless I have to. It's not that I don't like it, but I find no need for it and people always want to know what it means and it's quite boring as it means pure, although my parents told me I was named after a Goddess, and then a cartoon character.

I think it's always a great idea to stay true to yourself no matter what. In the end, you are the only person whose opinion matters about your own life.
AntonioCalcano

Postby AntonioCalcano » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 am

You need to keep your own name no matter what and if somebody else doesn't understand well that's their problem, you shouldn't change it only because other people are telling you to do it.

Return to “General stories”